6.5.09

busking report 6. May

I played the Marktplatz today, just outside my apartment. I sat on the north side of the fountain where multiple cafes have set up outdoor seating. Highlights:

-a group of young men walked past me a few times- at first, kind of making fun and laughing, and slowly quieting down after the third pass. Then they huddled up and went through their wallets, dropped a few coins in and hustled off. I said thanks and then looked- I was the proud recipient of 1.85 francs. Thanks.

-a large spanish group of students on a tour through heidelberg stopped in front of me and a group of about 6 girls sat down in front of me. I got a request for Bob Dylan and fulfilled it with "dont think twice it's alright". They seemed happy. Later they came back and tried to convince their teacher to stay for a bit. I busted out "Can you feel the love tonight" and 20 spanish kids sang along.

-an old army colonel stopped and asked me what state I'm from. I said Chicago. He was from Virginia. Me too, kinda.

-an old lady played air guitar in my direction while i was searching for my next song to play. I nodded and whipped out "blowing in the wind". She walked over and read over my shoulder, throwing down a harmony I've never heard but which somehow worked.

Overall a pleasant experience. It takes a few songs to settle in and feel comfortable. But once I get going it's nothing different than playing in my room, except other people get to listen.

Also, I made 12.02 euro in 1.5 hrs. Not bad!

1 comment:

Rob said...

You've been slacking a lot lately.