29.3.09

new semester

The new semester begins tomorrow here in romantic Heidelberg. I am pumped, for a few reasons:
1- Warm weather. This perpetual grayness is about to take a hike, and I couldn't be happier to see it go.
2- New courses. I've diversified a bit this semester- as opposed to my slew of 5 literature seminars last semester, I'll be taking only two. In addition I'm attending 4 lectures on various topics both intellectually interesting and pertinent to current or future degrees. Here they are:

Seminars:
Dramen des 20. Jahrhunderts- 20th Century Drama
Expedition als literarisches Motiv- Travel/Journey as literary Motif

Lectures:
Die Europäische Union- The European Union- political science lecture
Diktaturen des 20. Jahrhunderts- Dictators of the 20th Century- history lecture featuring Soviets, Nazis, Francos, and Latin American military dictators
Rechtsphilosophie- Philosophy of Law- law lecture
Einführung in die Neuere deutsche Literatur- Intro to Modern German Literature- literature lecture

I made some predictions at the beginning of last semester as to which courses I was looking most forward to- the Christa Wolf seminar came out on top. It was quite off- I found that seminar to be among the worst, and I enjoyed my Georg Büchner and Heinrich Heine courses the most. But I'll make another prediction, and knock on wood while doing it- I'm most looking forward to the Dictators lecture and the Travel-Novels seminar. We'll see.

And now to make my playlist for the walk tonight. Each semester I take a nice long walk the evening before courses start, to get a bit of perspective and clear my mind. Tonight it'll occur after an English language screening of Frost/Nixon. Excited.

I hope everyone is enjoying Spring blooming around the northern hemisphere.

Love al.

No comments: