24.12.08

Fröhliche Weihnachten!

Hello all- Merry Christmas!

I am in Köln now, living with my relatives. It's been really nice- they're great, and I always love returning to Köln, my German home city. If I ever live/work in Germany, I'd either work here or in Berlin, I think. Here because I love it, or Berlin because that's where the jobs are...
It's tough today. I miss my family, for sure. Christmas is a great day with my family, and it would be so nice to be there with them today. Mass at 4, then dinner at the Winberie, and return to shouts of "He came!" from my sisters. Candles lit, then to see the look on Sammi's face... Glühwein warmed up, slippers put on, and sitting around in a circle and opening presents. My parents happy, looking at their 6 creations together, smiling. This year there'll be a little dog running around too, who I haven't met, so he isn't really part of my fantasy. Maybe they've trained him to sit there like me, and to sing christmas songs or something. I'm sure he'll have a bell tied to his collar or something.
Talked to phil and luke yesterday- they seemed happy together. brothers are a great gift. so excited to see one of mine on saturday!
Saw Liz last week. Dreamy, as always.
Found a belgian supermarkt in Köln, there isn't one in Heidelberg. Bought some beer- mmm. Hands down, belgian beer runs circles around german. Belgian beer has a different goal- it's to be enjoyed more like wine, one, maybe two glasses. Then you're done, whereas the german bier is to be enjoyed in liter glasses in a loud beer hall.
not that i don't love german beer, and i hope I'm not angering anyone with this- Just something I've discovered. Problem with belgian beer, it knocks you out too quickly, like last night when I went to bed super early because of the beer at dinner. No good. Oh well, I'll find a happy medium.
Anyway, I wish everyone a lovely Christmas.
Love, Al

No comments: